SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:
Cape Environmental Management Inc (CAPE) is seeking a Equipment Operators to support our nationwide federal remediation projects. Heavy equipment operator is responsible for operating multiple types of power construction equipment in civil construction such as excavators and bulldozers of all sizes to excavate, move and grade materials within finish specifications, and install/erect structures in a safe and efficient manner. Observe and comply with all company and specific site safety and project policies. Ensure that proper safety and incident reporting procedures are followed. Supply input to Job Safety Analysis and frequent improvements or changes to the Job Safety Analysis Plan. Perform daily pre-inspection and on-going maintenance checks while operating equipment. Operate all heavy equipment in a safe and appropriate manner to minimize the risk of injury, property damage or loss of life according to all relevant policies and procedures. Excavate, move, and grade earth/aggregate or mix ingredients according to site specifications and within limitations of equipment in a safe and productive manner as determined by site construction conditions. Achieve acceptable rough and finish grade in all types of soils and conditions. Constant inspection and surveillance of surroundings before and during operation to ensure safe ground or slope conditions exist, as well as adequate distance observed for other equipment or personnel. Communicate with others by any means possible (visible or radio contact) including interpreting hand signals to determine where materials are to be placed or loaded. Work independently and conduct tasks with limited supervision. Perform duties efficiently and safely under direction of Foreman, Site Superintendent, or other responsible field/project management. Assist in lifting, positioning, and securing of materials/work pieces during installation and for the care and custody of equipment being operated, including daily cleaning and maintenance, reporting all equipment maintenance issues to Superintendent.
Expect up to 100% Travel with this position.
Minimum Work Experience Requirements: 3 years of experience in heavy equipment operations and civil construction. Experience on loaders, rubber-tired backhoe, excavators, and dozers including material handling and grading desired.
- Experience using Personal Protective Equipment. Knowledgeable in OSHA regulations regarding excavation methods and practices. Experience with most or all the following categories: SWPP Installations; material handling; soil stockpile maintenance; potential safety hazards identification and elimination; assist in loading and unloading trucks; flagman and spotter duties; haul and hoist materials; Level C PPE experience; General cleanup. Must be willing to function as general laborer where needed.
Minimum Education & Training Requirements (please include required registrations, certifications, if any):
- 40-hr HAZWOPER,
- High School Diploma/General Education Diploma (GED) or demonstrated proficiency in both oral and written communication with the fundamental knowledge of mathematics demonstrated by the ability to solve a variety of problems that can be modeled or solved by quantitative means.
- Must be able to read and properly interpret load charts for associated heavy equipment, manufacturer approved attachments and read survey stakes for alignment and grading.
- Required to pass skills test prior to operating equipment. Must be able to understand and demonstrate limitations of equipment.
- Current First Aid/CPR, Forklift training preferred, can be obtained upon hire
For 30 years, CAPE has delivered construction and environmental remediation solutions to governmental and private organizations nationwide. Our projects are high-profile environmental remediation projects involving cleanup of contaminated soil, groundwater, and sediment. The culture of our company is one of working together to achieve our company and professional goals and is succinctly and accurately defined as “We, Not Me” behavior. To ensure long-term, sustainable growth, we tailor our 3-year vision to be ahead of our industry in delivering our projects, align with our clients and team partners to improve our existing market share and develop new services to support smart growth.
CAPE offers competitive benefits including Medical/Dental/Vision insurance, life insurance, Vanguard retirement savings plan including both traditional and Roth 401(k) with up to 4% match and lowest in class fees, health savings account (HSA) with investment option, flexible spending account (FSA), paid annual leave, paid maternity/paternity leave, and tuition reimbursement. CAPE also offers staff several other voluntary benefits options, as well as the option to work from home.
CAPE is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We invite all qualified applicants to apply to our open positions.