SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:
CAPE is looking for a qualified Field Engineer I to join our Federal Remediation Team to serve as an on-site Project Quality Control (QC) Officer supporting the Former Sunflower Army Ammunition Plant projects.
At CAPE, this role serves as a jumping off point to the project management career path. While working in this position, you will gain valuable field experience that will poise the successful candidate for entry to our project management tract. Typical duration in this position is 2 to 3 years, with the positioning to transition to the project management career path, dependent upon successful performance.
The ideal candidate will provide field support to the technical resources group. This requires communicating field information concerning QC, engineering design, evaluations and assessments, reports, process optimization and technical program development and implementation. This position supports staff such as project managers, QC managers, engineers and scientists, CADD/GIS technicians, field technicians and technical writers.
This position will implement the site-specific QC plan requirements for the assigned project. QC responsibilities include, but are not limited to, onsite inspections and documentation of all daily inspections, testing and adherence to established procedures, submittal review and approval, implementation of the 3-phase QC process, provide follow up inspections and document correction of deficiencies, attend meetings (kickoff, coordination, mutual understanding), conduct QC meetings. In the event of a non-conformance, this position is authorized to stop work to prevent further non-conforming work and is responsible for documenting the non-conformance, investigating causes of occurrence, working with the Project Manager and Project Superintendent to resolve the non-conformance, and following up to ensure the non-conformance is resolved. This position will work closely with the Corporate QC Manager, who will provide support, coaching, and training to all Field Engineers. Note that there is often downtime between field projects and when that occurs, you will work from home. Tasks at that time would include training, plan/report writing (often completion documentation for the project you served on), preparations for the next assignment, and supporting other divisions (technical, estimating, PMs, etc.) as needed.
CAPE’s project scopes may vary as task orders are awarded. Below are a couple examples of recent project scopes of work:
- Excavation of contaminated soil, waste characterization and confirmation sampling, transportation and offsite disposal of excavated soil, and site restoration
- Regrading a 25-acre landfill and installing low-permeability soil barrier layer and protective cover system. Other project tasks include construction of temporary stormwater basins and spring improvements.
$90,000-$100,000 annually, commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Project site is in the vicinity of Kansas City. Ideally, candidate would be local. However, if not, 75 – 90% travel is required for this position. Note that there is often downtime between field projects and when that occurs, you will work from home.
Field Engineer I:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Geology, Physical Sciences, Construction Management, Engineering Technology, Building Construction, or Building Science
- Three (3) to five (5) years of experience in technical field of expertise consisting of design, operations, field and construction experience with at least one (1) year of experience in each area.
- EIT registration preferred
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to submit verification of U.S. citizenship
- Experience in remediation and/or construction work and ensuring quality. Experience working with both subcontractors and self-performing crews as on-site project quality control representative.
- Ability to use technical/functional expertise to establish plans, develop systems and processes
- Proficient computer skills to include the use, management and administration of the information technology platforms in use at CAPE
- Ability to provide direction including oral and written communication
- Communicate effectively via oral and written means
- Act with integrity and commit to quality
- Foster teamwork and value diversity
- Establish contacts with vendors, sub-contractors, manufacturers and laboratories to obtain quotes and submittals
- Display a consistent effort to listen, comprehend and act in response to the needs of both internal and external clients to provide excellent service and client satisfaction
- Develop and mentor junior staff and support colleagues at same level toward professional development / growth
- Assist in the identification of Clients Standards, CAPE’s Standards legal and regulatory requirements and industry standards to be applied to assigned projects, resolve conflicts, and communicate standards to be used on a project to all assigned project staff including the project manager.
- Keep required licensing and certifications current
- Ensure timely and appropriate generation, collection, dissemination, storage, and ultimate disposition of project information.
- Comply with the rules governing applicable State Boards of licensure for Professional Engineers and Surveyors
- Meet budgets, schedules, commitments, and internal and external client’s expectations
MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Potential exposure to equipment operation hazards and moving mechanical parts
- Occasional exposure to wet and/or humid conditions; elevated work locations; outside weather conditions; and exposure to heat or cold extremes.
- Occasional moderate to high noise exposures in the work environment
- Potential exposure to chemical, physical, and biological hazards such as: hazardous materials/waste and toxic airborne contaminants; physical hazards from work environment conditions and equipment operations; and biological hazards from poisonous plants and animals
- Activities may require use of respiratory protection and chemical protective clothing
- Tasks involve frequent standing and sitting. Occasionally required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear and taste or smell
- Occasional lifting and/or moving of objects up to 50 pounds in weight required
- Vision abilities specifically required include close vision, distance vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus
- Position may require the ability to safely use construction equipment
- Travel required for technical project support
For 35 years, CAPE has delivered construction and environmental remediation solutions to governmental and private organizations nationwide. As a $100 M small business, we have Nationwide contracts with the USACE, USN and USAF totaling over $20 B in prime contract capacity. As a top 3 SB in our industry, our $12 B portfolio also includes unrestricted contracts where we compete against large businesses for task order awards. Most recently in the unrestricted area, CAPE won a $30 M + groundwater treatment plant construction project for the USACE in New Jersey. We routinely partner with other small and large businesses to provide better responsiveness in support of achieving our clients goals.
Our projects are high-profile environmental remediation projects involving cleanup of contaminated soil, groundwater, and sediment. The culture of our company is one of working together to achieve our clients objectives, company goals and employee’s professional goals and is succinctly and accurately defined as “We, Not Me” behavior. To ensure long-term, sustainable growth, we tailor our 3-year vision to be ahead of our industry in delivering our projects, align with our clients and team partners to improve our existing market share and develop new services to support smart growth.
CAPE offers competitive benefits including Medical/Dental/Vision insurance, life insurance, Vanguard retirement savings plan including both traditional and Roth 401(k) with up to 4% match and lowest in class fees, health savings account (HSA) with investment option, flexible spending account (FSA), paid annual leave, paid maternity/paternity leave, and tuition reimbursement. CAPE also offers staff several other voluntary benefits options, as well as the option to work from home.
CAPE is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We invite all qualified applicants to apply to our open positions.